Sunday, June 14, 2015

June 1964 Playboy Cover

Unpublished Sneyd features 100 of Doug's favorite Playboy gag rough rejects as well as a number of Q & A topics, including:  "How did you get started doing cartoons for Playboy?"

"On a visit to Chicago in the early 60's, I brought along some of my published magazine illustrations and was able to arrange a meeting with a Playboy editor.  I had hopes of doing some illustrating for the magazine; instead, the editor suggested that I consider doing cartoons for them.  I told him I didn't think it was my cup of tea.  However, when he told me what Playboy paid for cartoons, I quickly developed a different taste in tea."

Doug's first full-page color cartoon was published in the September 1964 issue, p. 205:

"He wants to know if we make deliveries!"

It was also reproduced on p. 71 in The Art of Doug Sneyd, published by Dark Horse Books.

While in Doug's studio, I found a copy of the June 1964 issue and thought it was interesting to see the early Playboy Rabbit.


The Art of Doug Sneyd - a 248-page hardcover book featuring 270 of Doug's full-page color cartoons - will be available during the San Diego Comic-Con, July 8 (Preview Night) and July 9-12, at Dark Horse Books and Stuart Ng Books, located across the aisle from Big Wow Art, where Doug has exhibited since 2007.  SDCC attendees can purchase a book during the 5-day event or bring in a personal copy for signing; there is no charge.

(blog entries by Heidi Hutson)

No comments: